South Carolina’s First Primary Stroke Center
With the first certified Primary Stroke Center in South Carolina, and serving parts of North Carolina as well, Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System is distinguished as an expert provider of emergency stroke care. Research shows that patients who receive care for stroke at a Primary Stroke Center have the greatest chance of survival and recovery. This specialized level of care is especially important in our region. We are part of the “Stroke Belt” because we have a high number of stroke-related deaths compared to other parts of the country. Our team is proud of earning this prestigious certification and becoming a key part of reversing this trend.
Experience & Expertise to Improve Survival & Recovery
Our Primary Stroke Center is based in the Emergency Center at Spartanburg Medical Center. Certified by the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program, we bring national standards of stroke care to the communities we serve.
We are dedicated to improving survival and recovery for our patients who have stroke, by providing:
- The staff, medicines, equipment and facilities 24 hours a day for patients who have or might have stroke
- Assembly of a Stroke Code Team in just 15 minutes after an alert of patient arrival.
- A neurologist, or brain specialist, to assess each stroke patient, along with special lab testing, neuroimaging (of the brain) and other on-site emergency care
- Expertise for the trained staff of local emergency medical services, or EMS, to assess patients before they arrive at our Stroke Center
- Stroke training for our physicians, nurses and other staff
- Specialized levels of care in a stroke unit or intensive care unit
- A focus on quality
- Stroke specialists in physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Assistance to patients as they transition to different levels of care, through home health services, outpatient rehabilitation, or in-hospital rehabilitation at our 125-bed Spartanburg Hospital for Restorative Care, which is also part of our healthcare system
Learn about our “Surviving Stroke” Support Group, which meets every month.
See “Stroke is an emergency,” a video about strokes and stroke care at Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System.