Food for Thought
Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal in the Slow Cooker
Servings: 7 (3/4-cup) servings
- 2 apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (or alternative – unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats (regular, not quick-cooking)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons light margarine
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- Optional toppings: chopped nuts, dried or fresh fruit, additional milk
Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover and cook on low for approximately 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary). Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings if desired.
Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
For more information on this recipe and healthy cooking, Spartanburg Regional's registered dietitian, Kerri Lindberg, recommends visiting theyummylife.com
(Recipe modified by Kerri Lindberg)