Skip to Content

View Additional Section Content

Associate Services

Connect1 LogoConnect1 Dictation Frequently Asked Questions

How does dictation in the hospital currently work?

When you dial 66743 and begin dictating, the recording of your voice is stored as an audio file. 95% of your voice is then processed through Nuance’s Dragon system. The remaining 5% is reviewed by a human transcriptionist. The final transcription is then returned to you for validation. Essentially this is a form of voice recognition with 5% human oversight. The turnaround time for this dictation ranges from hours to as long as four days following your dictation, depending on the work type.

Will I be able to pick-up the telephone or use a portable recorder to dictate?

No. Dictation will no longer occur in a manner you are currently used to. The primary reasons for this change are quality and efficiency. Traditional dictation/transcription also delays access to documentation at a time when real-time access to information is critical.

I currently use cSpeak in ambulatory. Will this change?

Yes. Voice recognition will occur inside of Epic by use of Nuance’s Dragon voice recognition software. The look and feel of this will not be much different from cSpeak, but we expect the functionality to be much better. This will be covered in your training just prior to your go-live. You should be able to reuse your current microphone, too!

I currently use clear choice or another form of recorded dictation in ambulatory. Will this change?

Yes. Dictation will no longer occur in a manner you are currently used to. The primary reasons for this change are quality and efficiency. Traditional dictation/transcription delays access to documentation at a time when real-time access to information is critical.

How will dictation occur?

Dictation will occur directly inside Epic. A microphone button is available in the NoteWriter window of your screen, (red square below) which will allow either voice recognition with real-time transcription that occurs on the screen as you speak OR an audio file will be recorded for playback until it is transcribed in the Nuance Dragon system. Areas that are recorded will be denoted as “Dictation #x”, allowing other users to know if a recording is currently pending transcription. Audio file transcription will result in significant delays in the availability of critical medical information as compared with voice recognition.

How is something other than dictation more efficient?

Hybrid use of voice recognition or partial dictation, along with the use of electronic notes (known in Epic as NoteWriter or SmartTexts), improves documentation efficiency by allowing for dictation to be available for the more cumbersome portions of documentation, such as the HPI, assessment and plan of a note. Other portions of the note are inherently quicker and more accurately entered into the system with the above-listed tools (NoteWriter and SmartTexts/phrases). You will learn these tools during training.

How will use of partial dictation or voice recognition help my patients?

Voice recognition promotes accurate information entry and facilitates rapid accessibility of that information to other members of a patient’s care delivery team. This instant access to information is something we have become accustomed to OUTSIDE the world of medicine. This same instant access to actionable, critical medical information is something our patients deserve from us. Now we will have instant access to documentation from all phases of patient care that will significantly reduce the possibility of medical errors and improve coding accuracy.

How will partial dictation or voice recognition improve my quality?

Quality is currently a significant part of physician compensation; this will only increase over the coming years. Improved documentation through partial dictation and voice recognition when used in conjunction with NoteWriter and SmartTexts facilitate the capture of quality data in a way that doesn’t exist with purely dictated records. NoteWriter and SmartTexts are set up in such a way that physicians are presented with prompts related to quality metrics without being inundated with irrelevant information. The use of NoteWriter and SmartTexts will be taught during your training.

Was this page helpful?

Yes
No

Thank you for your feedback!

Thank you for your feedback and helping us to improve our website.
There will be no additional response.