Adenoma and Second Primary Prevention Trial (S0820)
A Double Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial of Eflornithine and Sulindac to Prevent Recurrence of High Risk Adenomas and Second Primary Colorectal Cancers in Patients With Stage 0-III Colon or Rectal Cancer, Phase III - Preventing Adenomas of the Colon With E
The investigators hypothesize that the combination of eflornithine and sulindac will be effective in reducing a three-year event rate of adenomas and second primary colorectal cancers in patients previously treated for Stages 0 through III colon or rectal cancer.
Key Inclusion Criteria
For a patient to be eligible for participation in this study, all of the following criteria must apply.
- History of Stage 0-III colon or rectal cancer with primary resection 1 year previously
- Post-operative colonoscopy and CT scans of chest, abdomen & pelvis showing no evidence of disease
- Must not have cardiovascular risk factors including unstable angina, history of myocardial infarction, or cerebrovascular accident, coronary artery bypass surgery, or NY Heart Assoc Class III or IV heart failure.
- Patients must not have known uncontrolled hyperlipidemia (defined as LDL-C >/= 190 mg/dL or triglycerides >/= 500 mg/dL within the past 3 years or uncontrolled high blood pressure (systolic blood pressure > 150 mm Hg) within 28 days prior to registration
- At least 30 days from completion of adjuvant chemo and RT.
- Presence of gastroesophageal reflux disease acceptable if controlled with medications
- Not receiving or planning to receive concomitant intravenous corticosteroids on a regular basis, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), nor anticoagulants on a regular predictable intermittent basis. NSAID use must not exceed 10 days per month; Maximum aspirin dose
- 100 mg per day or ≤ two 325 mg tablets per week. Inhaled steroids (i.e. for asthma or related conditions) are allowed.
- Able to swallow oral medications
- Laboratory: WBC ≥ 4.0 x 1000/mcL, platelets ≥ 100,000/mcL and hemoglobin > 11.0 g/dL. (A total WBC ≥ 3.1 x 1000/mcL is allowed for non-Hispanic black males and total WBC ≥ 3.4 x 1000/mcL for non-Hispanic black females. Serum bilirubin ≤ 2.0 mg/dL and AST (SGOT) or ALT(SGPT) ≤ 2 x IULN. Serum creatinine ≤ 1.5 x IULN
- Zubrod PS 0-1, 18 years of age or older
- Will not participate in any other clinical trial for the treatment or prevention of cancer unless off protocol treatment, on follow-up phase only
- Offered opportunity to participate in blood specimen banking
To learn more, visit ClinicalTrials.Gov
James D. Bearden III, MD