Hospice Veteran Volunteers
Spartanburg Regional Hospice has partnered with the Veterans Administration to provide specialized veteran-to-veteran volunteer services. The goal of this program is to pair veteran volunteers with hospice patients who have also served our country. Veteran volunteers have the unique ability to relate and connect with one another thereby creating an environment where life review and healing may occur.
What is the importance of veteran volunteers?
- Veterans are part of a distinct culture with their own common language and experiences
- When veterans interact, their common language and experiences can form a strong friendship
- The companionship created between veterans has proven to be supportive for all involved
What activities can veteran volunteers do?
- Assist veterans in reminiscing/telling life stories
- Assist in replacing lost medals
- Help a veteran apply for benefits or learn about available assistance
- Telephone veterans to ask how they are doing
- Educate veterans’ groups about hospice services by speaking at their meetings
- Participate in events that both celebrate and honor veterans
Specialized volunteer training is provided to prepare volunteers while serving patients and families.
Topics covered during training include:
- How the hospice care team works and your role in it
- Helpful hints for being a successful volunteer
- The psychological, social and spiritual needs of hospice patients
- How to provide grief and bereavement support
- Communication skills and managing stress
- Patient privacy and other regulations
To become a hospice volunteer, individuals are required to:
- Submit an application
- Provide two references
- Consent to a criminal background check
- Provide a statement of health from your physician
- Sign an agreement to protect patient privacy (HIPAA/ confidentiality)
- Consent to a drug screen and tuberculous (TB) test to be completed by Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
Annually, volunteers are required to:
- Participate in four education sessions provided by Spartanburg Regional Hospice
- Consent to a TB screening during your birth month
- Participate in competency training provided by Spartanburg Regional Hospice