Primary Stroke Centers
Both Spartanburg Medical Center and Pelham Medical Center are Primary Stroke Centers, accredited by the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP). Learn more about Primary Stroke Certifications.
What Happens at Our Stroke Centers
When you get to one of our certified stroke centers, our stroke experts may order tests when a patient is admitted such as:
- A CT Scan takes a picture of your brain
- An EKG reads the rhythm of your heart
- Physical, occupational or speech therapy
- Medications prescribed to help prevent clots from forming
- Surgery may be needed
What Happens After I Receive Care
As a patient, you may receive medication. Remember to:
- Continue all medication as your doctor has ordered.
- Know your medications and ask questions about new medications.
- Never stop taking a medication without first talking with your doctor.
- Update your medication list with all new medication and changes.
- Know any possible side effects to look for and what to do if you have any.
As a patient, you may have also received instructions on rehabilitation activities and change of diet:
- Continue with rehab therapy or activities as approved by your healthcare team.
- Drive only if approved by your physician.
- Continue diet ordered as approved by your healthcare team.
More on Stroke