Black-eyed Peas and Collard Greens Stew
- 1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained (about a 14 oz – 1 lb. can)
- 1 bag frozen collard greens or turnip greens (about a 1 lb. bag)
- 1 can Ro*Tel tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (I used hickory flavor)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped Vidalia onion, for garnish (optional)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
Dump the greens, black eyed peas and tomatoes into a large pot.
Add just enough water to the pot to cover the greens by about an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and bring to a simmer.
Add liquid smoke, oregano, and salt. Stir to mix. Cover pot and let simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The beans should be soft and the greens tender.
Taste; add more salt if needed and a good grind of black pepper.
Ladle into bowls and serve.
Top with chopped Vidalia onion, if desired. And for a real Southern experience, a shake or two of Tabasco.