Food For Thought
Egg in a Hole with Kale
Prep: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, small dice
- ½ cup red pepper, small dice
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- 4 thick slices multi-grain bread, middle cut out with a medium cookie cutter
- 4 whole eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauté pan, heat oil and add a diced red pepper and a shallot.
- Cook for roughly 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add kale and cook until wilted (remove from pan).
- Place the slice of bread in a separate, non-stick pan.
- Add ¼ cup of vegetables in the center of the bread (where the hole was cut) and arrange appropriately.
- Place the egg over the vegetables.
- Cook until the egg sets and flip to cook sunny side up.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Ready to serve.
For more information on this recipe and healthy cooking, Pelham Medical Center’s Clinical Nutrition Manager, Priscilla Dhas, recommends visiting http://www.cookforyourlife.org/recipes/egg-in-a-hole-with-kale.