For back or neck pain and injuries, surgery is not usually the first option. But when other treatments have not given you the results you want, experts at Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System offer advanced surgeries. We specialize in some of the most complex surgeries of the spine, for conditions related to accidents and sports injury as well as diseases such as arthritis and scoliosis.
Our orthopaedic surgeons work closely with neurosurgeons, interventional radiologists and other specialists to successfully treat a variety of conditions of the spine. At Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System, we are dedicated to continually improving spine care through research and education.
Common conditions treated:
- Adult scoliosis, or curvature of the spine
- Disc injury and disease
- Dislocated bone, including treatment of tendons and ligaments
- Fracture, or broken bone
- Herniated disc in the neck or back (also called a slipped or ruptured disc)
- Neck sprain
- Osteoporosis, or thinning of bones, which can cause bones to become brittle and break
- Pinched nerve
- Sciatica, or pain that can radiate through the lower back and down to the legs
- Spinal stenosis, a narrowing of open spaces in the spine
- Spine infections
So that you can participate fully in your care, we offer the Spine Camp at Pelham Medical Center. Meet with our experts to learn what to expect, from your first appointment with us, to rehabilitation and your return to your favorite activities.
The specialists at Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System often offer a customized combination of treatments. These might include medicines, exercises to improve strength and flexibility, and other therapies. Pain management specialists are also part of your team, providing a range of care to offer better pain relief, and more successful rehab.
When surgery is necessary, our spine care experts are experienced in using advanced tools and techniques. These help to ensure as little disruption of the delicate spine, nerves and muscles as possible so you can get back to the activities you want and need to do.
Our spine surgeons are experienced in performing:
- Decompression or gentle stretching of the spinal column to reduce back pain, neck pain or sciatica, for example.
- Spinal fusion or bone grafts, a type of surgery that involves joining, or fusing, vertebrae in the back to limit movement in that area. This reduces pain.
- Surgery to create more space for nerves in the spine and relieve pressure that causes pain.
- Discectomy, removal of a herniated disc.
- Replacement of a damaged disc in the spine with an artificial disc.