Skip to main content

When to Go Where



You have an illness or injury that just can’t wait. Where is the best place for you to receive medical care?

Download the Infographic

Find Your Symptoms, Find Your Care

Find Your Symptoms, Find Your Care

  • If it is not an emergency, contact your primary care physician. This is the most affordable option.
  • If it is not an emergency and your primary care physician is not available, try an in-network immediate care center.
  • In case of an emergency, go to the nearest emergency room. If you are unsure if you can get there on your own, call 9-1-1.

Primary Care Provider

If you aren’t feeling well, your primary care physician is the first person you should contact. A primary care physician knows your medical history, allowing you to build a relationship over time.

Make an appointment with your primary care physician for:

  • Lab tests such as liver function, thyroid, hormone levels and cholesterol
  • Ongoing medications like birth control
  • Chronic conditions such as anxiety, depression, diabetes or high cholesterol
  • Referrals to other medical specialists

If you do not have a primary care provider, find a doctor

Immediate Care Center

For after hours, weekends or if you can’t make an appointment, head to the immediate care center for non-life-threatening cases, such as:

  • Minor illness or injury
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Sprains or strains
  • Possible broken bones
  • Sports injuries
  • Cough, cold or sore throat
  • Earache, eye infection or sinus infection

Find a Location Near You

Emergency Department

Go to the emergency room for life-threatening situations and serious symptoms, such as:

  • Difficulty breathing or choking
  • Serious head, neck or back injury
  • Severely broken bones or or loss of limb
  • Chest pain or pressure
  • Difficulty speaking, drooping face or numbness of limbs
  • Convulsions or seizures
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Poisoning
  • Severe bleeding or burns

Call 9-1-1, especially for stroke and heart attack symptoms.