We are committed to providing future graduate nurses with a solid foundation to begin their careers in the surgical environment and invite you to make Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System (SRHS) your destination for nursing practice.
When you become a perioperative nurse extern at SRHS, you will work with a surgical team who are supportive of each other and strive to deliver superior care to our patients.
While finishing your nursing education, this extern program provides you with critical experience necessary to be successfully prepared to start your future in the field of perioperative nursing. Our perioperative nursing team takes pride in mentoring new nursing professionals and are pleased to offer this opportunity to current nursing students.
The paid externship program is a combination of observational, didactic and hands-on learning experiences developed to provide nursing students exposure to perioperative nursing within the following specialties:
- Operating room nursing
- Preoperative nursing
- Postoperative nursing
- Endoscopy nursing
Students will focus on the scrub nurse role during a surgical case and assist with direct patient care during surgical procedures. Each student will be assigned RN and surgical technologist preceptors.
Students will have the opportunity to experience the following:
- Innovative technologies – participation in robotic surgery
- Anatomical knowledge – reinforcing knowledge in pathophysiology and patient assessment
- Sterile processing and infection prevention – reinforcing knowledge in the fields of microbiology
In addition, the student will be required to develop a topic of interest related to operating room nursing, which will be presented to nursing and institutional leadership personnel.
Program Location & Schedule
The program is conducted at the Spartanburg Medical Center – Church Street campus, in Spartanburg, S.C. Students must dedicate a minimum of 10 hours a week when school is in session and a minimum of 32 hours per week when school is not in session.
Eligible students must:
- Attend an accredited nursing school program and be in good standing with the school
- Have completed the first year of their program, for ADN students
- Be in the first or second semester of their junior year, for BSN students
- Have up-to-date CPR (BLS) certification through the American Heart Association
- Participate in an interview with the director and nurse managers of surgical services
- After selection, complete and pass a pre-hire screening process
$14 per hour
Application & Selection Process
- Interested applicants should submit an online application, including your resume, through Spartanburg Regional’s careers page: https://www.spartanburgregional.com/careers
- Title of the job is “Nurse Extern” (Hint: Do not apply to the job titled "Nurse Extern Program" as it is for the floors and not for the peri-op surgery area).